What is THIS all about?

Thanks for coming to my Blog! I am a Daughter of a King, Daughter, Sister, Wife, Mother of five, MomInLaw of four, and Gram of four. Designing and creating feeds something inside of me! This blog will be sharing about my faith, my family, my life, my creations and collections. I am on a journey to learn balance and will be sharing about that as well. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Some Additional Memorial Day thoughts for Your Heart's Consideration. . .

Grandma's War Poster
 I love this vintage war poster, “Duty Calls” produced in 1917 during World War I.  It belonged to my Husband’s Grandmother, and I keep it above our kitchen cabinetry with other vintage family items to remind us of soldiers who left their sweethearts, their families, even their lives to fight, and die for Freedom. I was raised by parents who were very grateful to be Americans and taught me to love my American Heritage, to value the freedoms that living in this country offered me, to show gratitude to the memory of those who died for our country. I remember my Father saying, “We are gong to the Cemetery to take flowers for Decoration Day” and I was confused. . .I didn’t know that was the previous name for “Memorial Day”, the day we honor and show appreciation for those who gave their lives for our freedoms. We generally take flowers to the cemetery in remembrance of those we love, as well, but this National Holiday was specifically started to honor and remember fallen soldiers.
 Papa’s scriptures, Granddad’s watch, a hymnbook from 1892 Hymn 194 ~ "God of our Fathers
Whose Almighty Hand" and scarlet ribbon given to me by Liz from Lalaland
My Mother’s Father, Papa, was a veteran of World War I. Isn’t he a handsome Papa? I love this kind hearted man who rarely raised his voice at me and called me “little lover”. He called all of us that. The Book of Mormon on the left of the picture was given to him in Belgium, on October 29, 1918, during World War I, as you can read in the picture below, if you look closely. It is hard to see, but the book has a curve to it, as if it had been kept in his pocket, where he could read it at any time.
How can I tell about that? Our son kept his pocket scriptures in his front pocket all through high school, so he could read them whenever he liked, and it has the same curve to it as this book has. Our son also looks much the same as Papa looked, when he was our son’s age. Papa’s book now belongs to our son. This book of scripture helped Papa, and continues to help our family, through difficult life “Battles”, where the opportunity to choose between “captivity and bonadage” or Freedom and liberty” continue to be a part of our lives. In our Congregation on Sunday, we had a speaker, 
 who shared some of his thoughts about Memorial day with us and I just really wanted to share some of them with you! He reminded us that those who have given their lives, did not give them for their “country”, but gave them for the people of their country, as well as people of other countries, to be able to continue to live, or begin to live, in freedom. He also reminded us that Jesus Christ lived and died to offer us the choice between captivity or freedom, through His Atoning Sacrifice. Other’s have given SO much for us they chose to give their lives and die for OUR freedoms, but what will we do with the “time” we have here on earth?
What do we CHOOSE to live for?
Husband's Father in the Navy during the Korean War, my Father's War Rations Book,
Papa's Funeral Program, Granddad's Watch
 Jesus taught in John 14:15 ~ "If ye love me, keep my commandments", and said in John 15:10 ~"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.   11~These things have I spoken unto you that my joy might remain in you and that your joy might be full.   12~This is my commandment, that ye love one anther as I have loved you.   13~Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.  14~Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” 
He asks us to do the will of the Father, as He has done. He lived his life by the Father’s will and gave His life so that we could be free.  In the patriotic Hymn, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”, there is a line that says, “As he died to make men holy let us die to make men free, “ but Jesus also lived to teach us HOW to be free. A man by the name of David O. Mackay, who was the President of our church , and we believe a Prophet of the Lord, suggested that in our church hymn book we change the words of this line, and this is how we now sing this line: “As He died to make men holy, let us LIVE to make men free,” those of us still here can only now make a difference by how we choose to LIVE to make and keep men, women and children of every race, creed and color free, and honoring the memory of those who gave ALL they live for for us to have liberty. After listening to Brother Peterson, and feeling
Memorial Day Entry Table
the spirit in my heart, I left that meeting with a renewed desire to chose freedom for myself, for my husband, for my children, for their children, for our neighbors and for all those I love, whatever country they were born or live in. I desire to LIVE for freedom. To fight for the cause of Freedom, for the cause of God, for the cause of Religion, for the cause of Peace, for the cause of Jesus Christ. And to do that, I must fight to make and keep my heart a holy place so that I might live in love, honesty, integrity, service, compassion and peace and offer that to those I come in contact with. Even those who do not share my religious beliefs. These are noble pursuits, and I know it will take discipline on my part. It will take faith, an open heart and a contrite spirit, to offer my heart to God and to do His will so that I can "abide in HIS love". I want to let HIS " joy...remain in ME that MY joy might be full". . .and let Him change my heart . . .My mind asks "Can I really DO this completely with a sincere heart, having real intent and faith in Jesus Christ? And then I remember there are some things I do that can be a help already….I come from a singing family and it is easy for me to break into song at the sight of the American Flag. When I see military personnel in uniform in an airport, I spontaneously express gratitude to them for their hard work and sacrifices. I realize that I can sing to God and praise Him and ask Him to help me in this battle for my heart, to listen, hear and obey the will of the Lord, above the roar of the world, in quiet solitude, Love and Gratitude. My heart prays and sings:
“Oh be swift , my soul, to answer Him! Be jubilant, My Feet! Our God is marching on!”
"Battle Hymn of the Republic"

For your hearts consideration:
What will we do with the sacrifices of men and women’s lives on the battlefield, in the cause of peace?
What will I do with the freedom offered me by the 
sacrifice of the Savior? Will I allow Him in my heart?

Hearts of love and freedom, to all my friends and loved ones, and to those who do not even like me,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to comment.
Your comments warm my heart!